Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Scottsman, Irishman and an American Walk into a Bar

    Sounds like a beginning to a really great joke doesn't it? Well, it's actually a great beginning to this very true story.
     As all of you know, or maybe not knew. I used to work for an airline for thirteen years. And one of the perks of working for an airline were free or very discounted flights to anywhere you wanted to travel. Because of this I have been able to go and do a lot of very cool things and meet a lot of really great people. One of those things I got to do was take my mother, who's of irish descent, to Ireland with my father for a trip of a lifetime. We spent our day's traveling the Irish countryside visiting small towns and big cities. Then at night stopping at an inn or hotel, enjoying an Irish dinner then finishing the evening off with a pint of Guinness while listening to some Irish music and sharing a little bit of craic with the locals. The evening we spent in Killarney wasn't much different then any other night except of one incident I would like to share with you.
      After dinner and a pint of Guinness my mother and father were feeling tired and decided to turn in early. I, on the other hand, wanted to stay up a little while and continue to listen to the local Irish band that was playing in the pub. I got up and sat at the bar and ordered another pint from the Irish bartender and began a rather entertaining conversation with him and the Scottish guy sitting next to me. When all of a sudden the door of the pub swung open and a bus load of very loud English tourists came in and sat down at a table. They were so loud and obnoxious that you could barely hear the sound of the Irish bagpipes over their babble. The mood of the bartender and Scotsman visibly changed. Then the loudest member of the English party got up and walked towards us. When he got to the bar he slapped his money on the bar top and ordered a round of beers, loud enough so everyone in the pub could hear, for everyone in his party. After the bartender poured his order. He slapped us hard on the back and said. "Sorry lads, would love to buy you guys a pint but you're not in our party." And walked off laughing. The Scottish guy looks at us and say's in his strong Scottish accent,
"Fucking English."
"We don't need their fucking money." said the Irish bartender in his Irish accent. Then they both looked at me. I raised my head up from my pint and said.
"Don't look at me, we kicked them off our island two hundred years ago."
    They both let out a yell and started laughing and smacking me on the back and looking at the English tourists who suddenly became very aware that they were the butt of some kind of joke. Needless to say I didn't need to buy a drink the rest of the night in Killarney.






    
     
     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment